Tuesday, February 06, 2007

My Generation

I read an interesting post on another guys blog about the way my generation (22 - 34 year olds) approach work and life. (Read it here)

If you don't want to go through the trouble of reading it, the general thought is that for a great many members of my generation, the idea of "settling down" into a career is rejected. Instead, some decide to prolong their education needlessly (just for education's sake, not to produce anything with it), others travel and try adventure as a way of experiencing life. Those who do get jobs try to find jobs where they perceive themselves as "making a difference", and compete with a ton of others for low paying social service jobs.

From the perspective of someone who is basically fully involved in living the enterprenurial American dream... I do see that my generations general attitude toward work and career is a bit off. We prayed through Colossians yesterday in the prayer and fasting time, and I was struck again by the verses that talk about a slave serving his master as if serving the Lord. The reality of the matter is that all work is spiritual work. We do it unto the Lord.
At the same time, when I was working for Honeywell I had a dificult time justifying in my mind the idea of working for a corporation that really did not care about people as much as profit. In actuality, I never even considered that I would make it my career, I somehow always expected to move on. That same is true today, I certainly don't see myself as a painting company owner the rest of my life, I expect to move on.

I think the fundamental thing I see in my generation is a lack of patience. The idea of working hard at a "career" job for 5 to 10 years seems like an eternity, like missing out on life. The reality is it's not that long. It goes by crazy fast. Anyway, I could blabber on more about this but I'll quit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home